Common cold is caused by Virus then why my mom restrict me eating sweets? Do sweets cause common cold?

image credits:: zomato

Common cold is caused by Virus then why my mom restrict me eating sweets? Do sweets cause common cold?

Sweets or simply we say sugar. "How can a sugar cause common cold?" This is the question raised in my mind after knowing virus is responsible for common cold. But why my mom restrict me eating sweets when I catch a bit of cold? Oh my God I can't bear this mom. Mom I want to eat sweets; nothing will happen mom. 
Mom:: Already you have a bit cold then how can you eat sweets
Me:: But mom I want eat them(with sad expression in my face). 

See how strict is my mom when I was affected with cold. 
Why eating sweets results getting cold?
Eating sugars directly not cause cold in you. Eating sweets or other sugary items suppresses your Immune system for a few hours. As per a study published in Frontiers in Immunology in 2017, increased sugar intake can suppress the immune system, especially when fighting viral infections. Your immune system is weak when you eat sweets. Eating sugars when you were already affected with common cold can worsen your cold and delay healing. 

High intake of sugars also can cause diabetes, obesity and other heart problems. 
image credits: heart.org

The researchers found that sugar consumption may weaken your natural defenses and make it harder to recover from a cold.

What is limit of intaking sugars for a health person?

For a woman, it recommended to intake only 6 teaspoons( 25 grams by weight ) of sugar per day and for a man it 9 teaspoons( 36 grams by weight ). By American Heart Association.

Common cold can affect your sleep and your well-being. When I catch cold, I could not even catch my studies. Cold always interrupts in your work and disturb your work a lot. 

Take HONEY, it is best for your sore throat and cough. 

Cough can impact quality of life, cause anxiety, and affect sleep in children and their parents. Honey has been used to alleviate(reduce) cough symptoms. 

Please note that honey may not be safe for infants as it can contain harmful bacteria. Children under one year of age have a weak immune system that may not be able to fight these pathogens.  Click here to read Honey test for acute cold

Home Remedies to relief from cold

  1. Do not drink cool water or any chilled drinks.
  2. Do not take high intake of sugars.
  3. Please drink warm water if possible.
  4. Eat light foods at night. Hey, wait but why? Eating rotis or Chicken or some heavy protein meals may require lot of energy for digestion. But our body needs this energy to fight with the infection, so eat easily digestive food at nights like simple Dosa, idly, rice with light protein curry and etc
  5. Drink warm salt water.
  6. Don't take eat curd or drink buttermilk.
  7. Drink pepper milk before you go to bed. 
  8. Take 1 or 2 spoons of honey. 
  9. Sleep more













Post a Comment

0 Comments